68 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
stray
stray
2057 posts

Edited Jan 23, 2009, 16:15
Re: animal rights campaigners jailed
Jan 23, 2009, 15:56
You're dealing with three things here I think.
handofdave wrote:

That's a pretty depressing analysis.

Yes, it really is. But I think most people who have been involved in direct protest share it unfortunately.

handofdave wrote:

Perhaps I'm not explaining myself very well. I condemn how unfocused riots burn down neighborhoods and drive businesses away, bringing further pain to the very people who live there. I'm not condemning the rioters very human need to rage out... I'm saying that too often riots don't hurt the people they intend to hurt, but blow back upon the people who are being oppressed.

Indeed. In fact, its usually their own communites as you point out. However, the way it should be seen is, imo, as look at how desperate they are, why ? Nothing screams I'm backed into a corner and completely without hope than destroying your own home, or lashing out at (as you say) innocent businesses. Condemn is not a word that should be used. As I tried to say before , the main reason why buildings etc get harmed in riots is directly because the Police have forced the protestors into those areas and trapped them, they're looking for an escape route.

Edit : done it myself with a McDonalds, out through the back of the kitchens. Meh, anyway, McDonalds is fair game innit ? ;)

handofdave wrote:

I don't know if there's much point to embracing violence if a movement is so isolated and fragmented it can't get it together enough to become a cohesive, effective force, tho.

I'd agree on the whole, this is also why terrorist groups form, they don't pop out of vaccums. The isolation and sense of futility creates these movements, if you want to blame something blame the system or the powers that have forced them to these extremes. More accurately blame the fact that they feel voiceless in any other arena than being violent.

handofdave wrote:

Certainly, Hamas was not ignored, but the sort of attention they've drawn upon themselves remains in question if measured according to what they set out to achieve and what was achieved. They certainly are no closer to exterminating the state of Israel or gaining more freedom for their civilian population.

Oh this is a very different issue. This is about showing the rest of the world how evil, how oppressive and the extremes that your opposition is willing to go to against you, publicly. This has been an arguably valid tactic for many years by all sorts of movements. The idea is that it serves as a wake up call, showing directly your possible supporters in the world how bad the enemy is.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index