handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Edited Jan 23, 2009, 18:57
Re: animal rights campaigners jailed
Jan 23, 2009, 18:56
stray wrote:
handofdave wrote:

Certainly, Hamas was not ignored, but the sort of attention they've drawn upon themselves remains in question if measured according to what they set out to achieve and what was achieved. They certainly are no closer to exterminating the state of Israel or gaining more freedom for their civilian population.

Oh this is a very different issue. This is about showing the rest of the world how evil, how oppressive and the extremes that your opposition is willing to go to against you, publicly. This has been an arguably valid tactic for many years by all sorts of movements. The idea is that it serves as a wake up call, showing directly your possible supporters in the world how bad the enemy is.

I dunno.. the tactics of staying non violent in the face of violence (Indian independence from Imperial British rule, the Civil Rights movement under MLK) certainly did help turn world opinion against the status quo.

I don't know if the opposite is working so well with Hamas. I certainly agree that Israel is a tyrannical state, as they've demonstrated time and time again in their relentless disenfranchisement of the Palestinians. But the tactics used against Israel tend to turn off many who might otherwise be much more sympathetic, and willing to put more pressure on Israel. Suicide bombings and missile attacks may be the only asymmetric options for them, but at a very great cost, and at the risk of alienating world opinion.

It's possible that with a new US administration there will be a renewed effort to get the peace talks going again. Bush was completely indifferent to anything related to real diplomacy. Perhaps (not holding my breath) we'll see some real progress, finally, now that no.43 has slunk back to Texas.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index