pooley
pooley
501 posts

Re: animal rights campaigners jailed
Jan 25, 2009, 09:12
machineryelf wrote:
pooley wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7837064.stm

I may be opening myself up to abuse here, but i'm thick skinned (no, really)

Good fucking job. These arseholes did far more damage than good. Where as I agree with their aims, they acted in an equally as vile way as the people they (and I) opposed.

The only reason they did more damage than good was that they failed in the objective.
HLS is still open, they're locked up.Had they succeeded in shutting down HLS we would be [maybe] tut tutting the method but applauding them for the results

What they have achieved is an object lesson in how to get direct action wrong, start digging up graves and throwing paedo accusations about is a sure fire way to alienate people and give ammunition to Daily Mail readers.
As shown by the guy who shut down the power station, the greenpeace 3rd runway land selloff etc it is possible to do things that raise awareness without pissing off a large majority.Done correctly you even have a situation like Stanstead where a woman complaining about missing her fathers funeral doesn't get much sympathy, just a question asking didn't she leve it a bit late.

Direct action has to affect people that's obvious, but in a way that is not cutting it's nose off to spite its face. If it brings up mre adverse publicity than good it's self defeating

I would not just be tut tutting the methods, even if they have got it closed. they would have won a battle, but lost the war.

Also, the woman not making it to the funeral got a huge amount of sympathy, maybe not from you but from me and others on this site alone.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index