Head To Head
Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Glastonbury resident antiquarians and festival,.

301 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Re: Glastonbury resident antiquarians and festival,.
Aug 01, 2013, 16:33
Littlestone wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Theres an arrogance about it and all it does is highlight an incredibly narrow point of view.

Indeed, and I’ve already agreed with that (minus the arrogance label). However, there is also an arrogance and incredibly narrow points of view in the way the West sees itself (or perhaps more accurately ‘did’ see itself) as the champion and protector of what is ‘right’ and ‘real’.

The pages of Western (historical) encounter with other cultures is littered with the abuse (if not the actual annihilation) of those cultures because it (the West) believed it held the one true understanding of things and everything else was either second-rate or, in extreme cases, subhuman. Mind, that attitude is not only the reserve of the West; we see it all over the world and throughout history in the obliteration of one culture by another. The difference is that the West, with its superior military might, has tended to be the worst offender (at least in recorded history).

Yes, I see, understand and accept this.
But, as i'm sure you're already aware, it has very little relevance to this particular exchange.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index