Head To Head
Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Glastonbury resident antiquarians and festival,.

301 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Jul 12, 2013, 09:50
Re: Glastonbury resident antiquarians and festival,.
Jul 12, 2013, 09:39
Mustard wrote:
moss wrote:
What has always puzzled me about Glastonbury is that historically it is much more a christian settlement than a pagan settlement.

Apart form the bloody big Neolithic maze carved into the tor ;)

(I appreciate the dating is speculative, but it still seems most likely on the balance of probabilities to me).

Glastonbury seems surrounded in mysticism (define!) which appears rooted in early Christianity though highly probable it was a 'special' place long before that. I don't get there too often as live in north Wiltshire without a car but usually manage at least one visit a year. I always experience an inexplicable sensation associated only with that part of Somerset just before the Tor comes into view - and a feeling of elation while I'm around the area of the Tor and what is now known as the Chalice Well Garden. Can everything be explained by science - I don't think it can. Like Moss I stopped believing in 'god' many years ago (although he recently tweeted the wise words "Don't let the fact that everyone is against you stop you being paranoid") ... went through my 'airy fairy' phase of crystals healing etc. The problem with getting older is that most of our psychological crutches crumble and are seen for what they are. Glastonbury has never yet failed to energise and inspire me.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index