Head To Head
Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Glastonbury resident antiquarians and festival,.

301 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Mustard
1043 posts

Re: Glastonbury resident antiquarians and festival,.
Jul 31, 2013, 11:16
Astralcat wrote:
Mustard wrote:
Astralcat wrote:
Mustard wrote:
Astralcat wrote:
This is one example of many. When I was researching the subject I was amazed at how many 'anomalies' are suppressed:

http://pleistocenecoalition.com/steen-mcintyre/Nexus_article.pdf

Can't see anything in that article about Glastonbury being a chakra, or any evidence relating to what the druids believed.

That's because I was referring to suppressed archeology, and not Glastonbury and the Druids. That subject is well documented in itself, and much is known about Druid law as it part of a larger universal mystical knowledge system.

I'm pretty sure you said "Glastonbury IS a chakra" ;)

Nothing is known about druidic lore. Anything we surmise is entirely speculative. It's very easy to make grandiose statements like "... it part of a larger universal mystical knowledge system", but much harder to back up such statements with old-fashioned things like facts and evidence.

Seeing as the druids left NO WRITTEN RECORDS, it's rather hard to see what your source for this assertion would be. Other than speculation, of course. Not that I have any problem with speculation. If you want to say "druidic lore COULD POSSIBLY HAVE BEEN part of a larger universal mystical knowledge system", then hey, go right ahead. State it as fact, and you're no different to any other religious zealot passing off personal belief as incontrovertible truth.

What a curiously dull and soulless place the world would be if we ignored all oral tradition, folk memory, myth and legend and just relied on your 'hard evidence' alone. Not for me, that's for sure, and as for being a religious zealot ? Nah. That unnecessarily insulting comment says far more about you than me.

Oral tradition is marvellous, and it provides wonderful material for speculation about all kinds of things. But it is not reliable evidence, and it does not allow us to make definitive statements about what the druids believed. We can't even be certain that any oral traditions descend from druidic teachings or beliefs. So like I said... speculate. That's fine. Definitive statements however, like "druid law is part of a larger universal mystical knowledge system" are factually inaccurate. Stating personal beliefs as fact is a hallmark of religious zeal.

Speaking of which, I don't believe I called you a religious zealot. I said that passing off personal beliefs as fact makes you no different to a religious zealot. That's not an unreasonable position, is it? Zeal is defined as:

"fervor for a person, cause, or object; eager desire or endeavor; enthusiastic diligence; ardor."

The fact that you're so quick to take that as an insult, and try and use it as a means of undermining a rational and reasonable argument says more about you than it does about me ;)
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index