New study challenges timeline

213 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
BuckyE
468 posts

Re: New study challenges timeline
Dec 11, 2012, 04:18
nigelswift wrote:
I don't agree calling them archaeos is necessarily insulting per se, it's all about context as they say: loads of archaeos use the term for instance. I also don't think calling them things like MPP is usually wrong - it's affectionate and signals everyone knows them, which is a complement - and again, archaeos do it.

The point being, Buck, ;) so long as those terms are used where there's a general climate of respect for archaeology and science the terms are harmless. If on the other hand they are used where the climate is otherwise, then of course I agree with all you say wholeheartedly.

Nige

Almost, Nigel. But --respectfully of course-- not quite, and there's the rub. It's not "where there's a general climate of respect for archaeology and science..." It's where the terms/acronyms are being bandied about amongst the inner circle/the accepted-as-members-of-the-crowd. THEN it's OK, because it's part of the in-crowd privilege: to use the short-hand, intimate, amongst-friends terms.

It's NOT OK when the out-crowd does it, because in that case it's automatically recognized as the out-crowd apeing the in-crowd, which is tantamount to gate/party crashing. Which is trying to arrogate privileges one has not earned.

Sorry.

And in the end, potential crashers or not, there's also the issue of "...a general climate of respect..." which emphatically, absolutely does not prevail here. Sorry again.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index