Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Edited Dec 05, 2012, 14:12
Re: New study challenges timeline
Dec 05, 2012, 11:26
VBB wrote:
I expend rather a lot of energy promoting that given accessibility to learned argument the public can bring a wealth of personal and professional experience from all walks of life to bear on archaeological thought dominated by career academics and heritage professionals (that never having done anything else can be somewhat limited in their vision of what life is about); but that argument is somewhat undermined by tma masquerading such as the above examples as unquestionable fact without rigour or references, and furthermore as we all know, behaving in a fashion that encourages the impression that public enthusiasts are a rabble of egotistical loose cannons that converse as if holding a tired closing time pub conversation.

If you’re referring to the beings of light brigade that occasionally pepper these pages then I fully agree with you (not that I entirely dismiss the idea of beings of light you understand, just that I wish those who engage with such beings would stop banging on about them here).

Some of your, and tiompan’s, earlier comments got me thinking however on the ‘seasonality' of ides. da Vinci’s helicopter is a good, though perhaps oversimplified, example of what I mean - the idea was there but it took 500 years to become a reality. We could say that was because the technology (science, materials etc) weren’t yet in place for it to happen (and we’d be absolutely right on that score) but we could also say, with equal validity, that a receptive ground for the idea to take root wasn’t there either.

That’s the point. We can keep going back to the year dot to illustrate that someone saw something before someone else but, unless the climate for the idea to take root is there, it ain’t going to happen. Put another way, you don't need an agricultural scientist to till the ground and grow a good crop.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index