213 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Re: New study challenges timeline
Dec 04, 2012, 13:25
Littlestone wrote:
tiompan wrote:

No coincidence that the dodgy stuff tends to be very "I" based too, not really about the people of the past but more often how someone usually an "I " has an ability to garner info that is otherwise unavailable to everyone else . There is never any evidence to support the ability or the info , what is important is the "I" and their "abilities " .This is also coupled with a disdain for those who actually do garner the genuine info often relatively anonymously .

Yup. We had this problem with Kevin and Mike Crowley some years back – it wasn’t so much that we (most of us at least) weren't willing to listen to their ideas it was that they continuously referred back to them; they were their default settings and you couldn’t talk to them on any level other than the ones they’d set for themselves. Mind you, that sort of fanaticism isn’t only confined to the more ‘spiritual’ sectors of society (or this forum for that matter) it’s found everywhere.

Maybe the best way is to put our cards (experiences/beliefs/politics) on the table (at least on forums such as this) once or twice and leave it at that – perpetually banging on about them is a turn off for most other contributors if we don't.

But it is the curiosity that enabled them to continue.
We are curious, superstitious creatures, even now. You still remember Kevin because of the force of the point made. The extreme "I".
You can dismiss claims with your modern mind and education but the people of the neolithic, I would imagine, were more vulnerable to the extreme "I".
I would imagine people could rise in notoriety by simply insisting they were correct. Acting, in every way, as if they knew things that the majority didn't. Curiosity, superstition, fear.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index