213 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Re: New study challenges timeline
Dec 07, 2012, 10:08
BuckyE wrote:
Well, surely sadly, Nigel, there are places/venues/outlets where a bit of outreach funding would influence many more people.

But that's probably not the point. I'll beat this horse one more time, then quit. One or two small examples...

Professional archaeologists are usually referred to on this forum as "archeos." (Or some variant of the spelling.) That's insulting; it's an obvious attempt to belittle the accomplishments of the profession.

When specific archaeologists are mentioned, it is often by acronym: "MPP" or similar. That also is insulting. The poster has obviously chosen to not bother to take their oh-so-precious time to spell out the name.

Please note that while I am certainly replying to your post --lazily, rather than starting a new thread-- I'm not singling out you or anyone in particular for these behaviors. It just seems endemic to the forum. It's a kind of culture here.

In short, you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar. And I oughttah know.

Bucky , I often use the term archaeos it is not intended to be insulting per se and I know that archaeologists don't see it as such . Similarly I use abbreviations for names e.g. LS or M it's not meant as an insult and I sure not accepted as such btw MPP is often referred to in a non insulting manner by other archaeos as MPP .
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index