Sanctuary wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Littlestone wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Strong belief in something doesn't have to be dangerous or 'wrong'.

I disagree – it is both dangerous and wrong if cannot be shown to be right. You might then ask what is ‘right’...

Well, take the example of Kevin with his dowsing. If you enjoy dowsing (There is a British Society of Dowsers) and believe in it, believe you get results, I can't see theres too much wrong with doing it!

Well...sticking my oar in. I've always taken or left dowsers and always thought that they were capable of either moving the rods intentionally or making the pendulum swing intentionally....
…until that is, I went to King Arthurs Hall on Bodmin Moor and on my second visit took along a dowser friend of mine (we discussed this on a thread earlier in the year). She’d never been there before and knew nothing about the place at all. We got there and she sat on the southern bank with a pen and paper in her hands. She never once walked around the enclosure until she had done what I asked her to do, which was to indicate to me on a drawing if there was an equilateral triangular stone within the rectangular stone setting. I’d already looked for one on my first visit but none of the remaining standing ones were. That just left the fallen buried ones of which there are many.
Anyway, she drew out a plan of the site then held a crystal pendulum over it and moved it around the perimeter. Toward the SE end she marked a spot with an x and another near to the NE corner. She said the SE one marked the position of a triangular stone and the other, the spot where human remains were lying. Yeah sure, I thought to myself!
But, I was to be proven wrong, because the stone was exactly where she claimed it to be and the human remains…well, that has yet to be proven because there was no way I was going to grub around for them! (Apparently they were the remains of a female who worked on the initial build of the site).
So do I believe she ‘has something’ or was it pure luck? You tell me, but I was very impressed I can tell you and think twice about being sceptical now.

You have to take each case on it's merits , in this case the female burial which is pretty specific was never going to be verified on the day if ever . The site is surrounded by stones so there is every likelihood that choosing a point somewhere around it's perimeter will provide the goods . .

There are 56 stones left standing or visible out of an estimated 140 in total (I agree with that figure) so the chances of the correct buried or covered stone being pinpointed at the first time of asking would not have 'every likelihood' of being found I wouldn't have thought so would have to disagree with you there George.

Roy , You said yourself in the vid that there is a two foot gap between stones . The dimensions of the site are 47m x 20 a total perimeter of 134 m if there were 140 stones then you have a pretty chance good chance of being right .

I never realised before that day that the dowser asked 'someone' the question you were asking them. I thought they just hung the pendant above a map and observed what it did. I never watched her doing this as I wondered off looking at the stones but asked her afterwards how it worked. If she hadn't have pinpointed the stone I would have thought she was a sandwich short of a picnic after telling me that :-)
Anyone else had a close friend do anything like this and if so, what do you think of them and their belief? My friend is a total believer and the more I see her do things the more I respect her for it.

I think it's quite easy for the human mind to determine such things

You see a patten and continue it.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index