Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Re: New study challenges timeline
Dec 03, 2012, 13:01
bladup wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
nigelswift wrote:
It comes down to what you want I suppose.

Personally i regret the Lizard era and I've heard TMA spoken of disparagingly by archies quite recently on the grounds that it was full of that sort of stuff.

It's quite a thought that very few pros come here openly (Mike Pitts was the last I think) yet there's a huge and healthy public interest in prehistory here.
We can grumble that they are arrogant as they don't descend from their Ivory towers to outreach and engage with that public interest. Or we can ask - WHY don't they.

Personally, I'd rather Tim Darvill et al popped in here sometimes than the lizard lot or their more recent successors. But no doubt I,m a very bad, closed minded person for having such a preference. And I'm certainly in a minority.

Of course, that would be great. Who wouldn't like to see Archaeologists popping in here for a chat? I'm not saying I have a solution, its' just a shame somebody like Tim or Josh Pollard couldn't come here and have a chat with a dowser, for example. I'm not convinced they wouldn't want to, but probably feel they 'can't'.
However, we shouldn't make allowances for that. We should continue down the 'right' path with open discussion, and "all views matter".

They're openly admitting that all views don't matter though- sickening isn't it?

My guess would be that a lot of archaeologists got into the subject because they felt those things about these places too. The mystery of it is a huge draw. It is very human to be seduced by that kind of thing.
I think that in order to continue to be taken seriously in their work, unlike, say, Lethbridge, they need to maintain a certain distance from what some (the people with the money and final decisions) may think of as 'odd' theory.
I feel sure there must be plenty of archaeos who love the 'weird' side of this subject. Don't we all, to various degrees?
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index