Stonehenge »
New study challenges timeline

213 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: New study challenges timeline
Dec 04, 2012, 07:55
May I make a point that in fairness ought to be made even though it will get me no bouquets here to put it mildly?

The reason why most people seem to be saying a sensible forum wouldn't be a good idea (I prefer the term "a forum lacking the content of the Portal's Mysteries forum, which could be replicated here if required") is that an "anything goes" forum is a potent and heady mix from which numerous ideas flow.

Maybe.

And furthermore....
"sometimes archies take up seedlings that sprout from this fertile soil"

Definitely. Probably the stonkingest example of that is Silbaby.

However, isn't it only the "rational" science or evidence based research or discoveries that get acknowledged or taken up, either from here or the Portal?
No doubt archies will now be criticised for being closed minded, and so be it, but I think it's wrong to say the heady mix here generates archaeological progress, only the non-mysteries type contributions do.

By all means a unified forum can be claimed to be more interesting and enjoyable and democratic than a "sensible" one if that's what people think but I don't think it should be said that the weird bits are an asset to archaeology and should be included for that specific reason. They ain't archaeology, that's the problem and in my view they have the opposite effect. It's like the Ancestors were all nature lovers, it's just a story that has grown up without much evidence to support it. ;)
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index