146 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Re: The first site you ever visited.
Oct 06, 2012, 21:43
bladup wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Thanks for that, the lost place name is interesting, because years ago when i first read about that, the place was said to be quite near castle dykes henge in wensleydale, at the time i even looked at old maps of there and found things [field names and the like] called blades around the place, the thing i read did tell you where to look though, so it wasn't me that discovered it, it really does show how fast information can get lost even in this computer driven age, it's also strange how around viking settlements, the local people [in the past] used to say that the prehistoric monuments were built by the Danes, so this makes you wonder just how long they've been coming over here, i guess we'll get to know all that sort of thing in the years to come though DNA.

Great stuff.
Talking about a Danish link I'd love to get over there to have a look at some of the monuments.
Now, I DO know feck all about them, bar the stuff in TME, but would love to know more. Just looking at them they are really evocative sites.

Baronens Høj!

Looks lovely doesn't it, like you said they all do, and they have stone circles in sweden from the iron age called judges rings, which is an interesting name isn't it, it sometimes looks to me that they brought certain tombs with them, and the idea of stone circles ended up over there as it all ended here, places like bryn celli ddu may be explained in this way, native henge monument with stone circle turned into tomb, it does so look like some danish ones, the mull circle on the isle of man looks like an embanked stone circle, that's had it's big stones pulled down and turned into little chambered cairns as well, it's only viking types that could have done that sort of thing back then without the native population going mental at them, the later vikings took that "come on then if you've got a problem" even further! Do you know Carperby [1 ruined embanked stone circle and 1 ringcairn or another ruined stone circle], castle dykes henge and yockenthwaite cairn circle, i love them all.[/quote]

haven't visited the last ones you've mentioned, but I did get to Bryn Celli Ddu and, yes, definitely has that 'Danish' look.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index