Oct 06, 2012, 17:52
bladup wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
bladup wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
bladup wrote:
Harryshill wrote:
I know almost nothing about it.

I know the Romans attacked it and that it's huge, but it's history ai really unknown to me.

Mind you, I know next to nothing about any of the sites.

But that's the good thing about prehistory, even the people who do think they know stuff [myself included] are constantly been proved wrong about things they believe, as so much is still unknown and some stuff may remain like that forever, this makes it a great leveler for newbies as they can come to the table with ideas just as good [if not better] than so called experts.

Whilst I don't want to argue with you again bladup, and I agree with what you are saying here, ideas alone are no use without some evidence to back them up. Agreed?
Anybody could say anything about a site but without something to show there is substance to a claim, it cannot be taken seriously. Lots of things are 'possible' but that doesn't get us anywhere.

But why does it have to get us anywhere? [where's the mystery in that?] we are here and have our feelings don't we?, and feelings are very important to me, i know i see things others can't, to me that makes me a seer and to others a madman, i've always said that a lot of people will think i'm talking shit, but a least it's all from in me and nobody has to read it! just because you can't prove something doesn't make it wrong or even less valid, i mean people once thought the world was flat and other people thought they knew that all prehistoric monuments were roman or newer, and the people who said otherwise were ridiculed, and just look how right the ridiculed people ended up, i know a lot of people want proof, but not everyone, i'm as honest a person you could meet but haven't got the time, inclination or more importantly the capability to prove everything i've seen, known or experienced, should that mean i should be silenced, i clearly think not, your tone is a lot better now, so thanks for that, i calm down as quickly as i get worked up and we were both told wasn't we, i for one will forgot what happened and really try to carry on with you as usual, all the best paul.

I love the mystery of prehistory (that rhymes) I think that's what draws most in to the subject. If we knew beyond any doubt what a site like, say, greywethers was for I honestly think interest in it would wane.
But!
The thing I've found about prehistory ( I've been visiting and reading and thinking about this stuff for over 10 years, I do know a bit, honest ;) is that often the truth is mysterious and strange in itself.
It's intriguing and seems to deepen as we discover things.
Finding out the real truth of these sites also provides us living today with a new perspective. We have been so beaten down by 2000 years of Christianity, our ancient past provides us with insight into 'other' ways of living, ideas, motivations that we may have forgotten about.
It is really easy to feel alienated in the society we currently live in and some of us may long for a change of the rules. Revealing the past using evidence rather than guesswork, or feeling, gives us the chance to explore the whole nature of what it has ever meant to be a human being, to be a society.

But it's people like us [pagans] that the christians have been keeping down for 2000 years, and they themselves know that life itself [not just prehistory] is far more mysterious than any of us realise, i'm one of those souls that never believed their death wish lies and wasn't conned by them trying to tell us that it was odin hanging up there on the cross [tree], the mysteries are sure there, you don't have to take anything, i mean if i visit boscawen un in the day with lots there it wouldn't seem to mysterious to me, but on my own at night it could be a different matter, i've felt such love at these places but also like i'm been pushed away [i normally stay then though, as they are normally just seeing what your made of], at night with no moon you clearly can't see that much and are almost forced to "feel" the place, i know you know what i mean, bloody hell you should know some of the things that happen that are private and i would never speak of on here [things like that are for face to face] and i do know you know "stuff", it just seems we're both quite good at winding each other up!

When I was about 6/7 years old I went on a trip to Thorpe park. At that time they had what I now know to be a reconstruction of a saxon settlement. (I know this isn't prehistory but its something that I will admit has puzzled me).
I don't remember all that much about my childhood but I remember distinctly being impressed upon when I walked into that place. For want of a better word I 'recognised' the place and felt, (inexplicably for a young boy bought up on a council estate 40 miles from london) at home there.
This is a vivid and lasting memory. The place itself was so dour. Colourless, lifeless. I wasn't attracted to it as a young person is attracted to games, tv, bright colours, excitement etc.
I felt a genuine "something" happen to me. Why, I have no idea. I was never taught about these places, never read stories, never had any interest at all. I was interested in playing football and making my Xmas list! Why I should have been so struck by that place remains a mystery and I like that. Maybe one day I will find out why. But I'm happy with the feeling I have about it now as it hints at some sort of 'predetermination' (in a vague way).

Plus one possible interpretation of my surname is "field with pagan temple".
Honestly! Was quite chuffed when I found that out!
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index