Pages: 15 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Edited Sep 20, 2012, 23:24
The first site you ever visited.
Sep 20, 2012, 23:19
What's the first site with extant remains you ever visited? and if not a stone circle which stone circle as well?, i'm interested because the nine ladies of stanton moor and boscawen un often seem the stone circles a lot of people visited first, and i wondered if this would be backed up on here, and to find out which chambered cairn is the first on peoples list, mines hetty petlars tump [ first site ever ] and the stone circle is boscawen un on a trip to cornwall to see the total eclipse in cornwall in august 1999. Thanks for reading, I'd appreciate your answers, paul.
harestonesdown
1067 posts

Re: The first site you ever visited.
Sep 21, 2012, 00:01
I genuinely cannot remember. !
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Sep 21, 2012, 00:17
harestonesdown wrote:

Ha ha come on, a flashback or something, were you really young like them young lads in your pictures?, although there probably about 18 now [ if the photos were taken when you put them on here], no wonder harestonedown can't remember- he doesn't have much of a past! what's mr watson's first site?
harestonesdown
1067 posts

Sep 21, 2012, 00:49
bladup wrote:
harestonesdown wrote:

Ha ha come on, a flashback or something, were you really young like them young lads in your pictures?, although there probably about 18 now [ if the photos were taken when you put them on here], no wonder harestonedown can't remember- he doesn't have much of a past! what's mr watson's first site?

My father was a driver for the local abattoir, This could take him all over the country and some times i'd tag on with him. I absolutely hates school, All i did there was fight, Nothing constructive at all, so my dad would often let me "wag it" in his lorry, I've a very vague memory of seeing Stonehenge out of the window one day and it sparked my interest. A year or two later my dad picked up one of Arthur C Clarkes books, Generally we weren't allowed to read his books but late one night after he returned from the pub a bit worse for wear i managed to get a loan of the book for the night, There i read about many other ancient sites and that stuck with me and got me into the whole megalithic "thing". Pretty much all i can remember from there is myself and my best mate, Also named Paul would wag off around Derbyshire, Mainly the fox house area so i guess the first ancient site i saw would have been one around there somewhere but i genuinely can't remember what, really. !

Since then as you'll now know i've visited too many sites to mention but as far as chambers go that would be West Kennet Long Barrow, Many years later, Or was it Waylands. ? Lol.

Too many memories mate, Not enough brains cells to file it all in any meaningful order. :p
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Edited Sep 21, 2012, 02:04
Sep 21, 2012, 01:03
harestonesdown wrote:
bladup wrote:
harestonesdown wrote:

My father was a driver for the local abattoir, This could take him all over the country and some times i'd tag on with him. I absolutely hates school, All i did there was fight, Nothing constructive at all, so my dad would often let me "wag it" in his lorry, I've a very vague memory of seeing Stonehenge out of the window one day and it sparked my interest. A year or two later my dad picked up one of Arthur C Clarkes books, Generally we weren't allowed to read his books but late one night after he returned from the pub a bit worse for wear i managed to get a loan of the book for the night, There i read about many other ancient sites and that stuck with me and got me into the whole megalithic "thing". Pretty much all i can remember from there is myself and my best mate, Also named Paul would wag off around Derbyshire, Mainly the fox house area so i guess the first ancient site i saw would have been one around there somewhere but i genuinely can't remember what, really. !

Since then as you'll now know i've visited too many sites to mention but as far as chambers go that would be West Kennet Long Barrow, Many years later, Or was it Waylands. ? Lol.

Too many memories mate, Not enough brains cells to file it all in any meaningful order. :p

Cheers, great story though, i also detested school [ can you feel that hatred? ], and the first book i ever bought was an authur c clarkes mysteries of the world book, it had stonehenge, a ufo and dinosaurs on the cover, i loved it, they thought i was dyslexic at school til i got this book, as all kids can learn if it's something the least bit interesting to them, as nothing at school is interesting for some kids.
CARL
511 posts

Sep 21, 2012, 07:13
As far as I can remember:
Stonehenge / WKLB
moss
moss
2897 posts

Sep 21, 2012, 08:22
bladup wrote:
What's the first site with extant remains you ever visited? and if not a stone circle which stone circle as well?, i'm interested because the nine ladies of stanton moor and boscawen un often seem the stone circles a lot of people visited first, and i wondered if this would be backed up on here, and to find out which chambered cairn is the first on peoples list, mines hetty petlars tump [ first site ever ] and the stone circle is boscawen un on a trip to cornwall to see the total eclipse in cornwall in august 1999. Thanks for reading, I'd appreciate your answers, paul.

Funnily enough Paul I think I first became aware of prehistory driving past Silbury one day and thought 'wow' and went on to live in Calne and began to know the landscape from then on. Stoney Littleton Long barrow will always have a hold on my soul, and Stanton Drew stone circle which as the poor third circle of Wessex is unremarked upon when Stonehenge and Avebury come to the fore - sad that.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Sep 21, 2012, 08:40
Sep 21, 2012, 08:31
I'd really like to answer this one though in doing so I will contradict something I say later. Way back in those mist-covered days of living in London I was invited on a Pagan Day Out coach trip, organised by people associated with SKOOB Books (back then SKOOB was located near the British Museum and was a meeting place for all sorts of esoteric goings on - most of which were outside of my understanding at the time).

Our first stop was Waylands Smithy, then of course Avebury and West Kennet Long Barrow - with a quick stop at Stonehenge on the way back. I saw a bus heading for my home town Swindon - a place I thought I had left far behind as my parents had moved to Lincolnshire. I had no inkling at that time that life's changes would take me back there. At the turn of the new century take me back they did - and for the past decade Avebury has played a pivotal part in my life.

I went back there the other day (borrowed a friend's NT card as wanted to mooch around the excellent museum and information centre). Lots of school kids learning that Avebury was more than likely a place of prehistoric religious observance. I went back to the henge thinking to go for a walk, the sun was shining - but I looked around me and thought about all the petty squabbling and egocentric behaviour which I now associate with the place and thought it really is time to move on, not just metaphorically but physically too. I said goodbye to Avebury.
Mustard
1043 posts

Sep 21, 2012, 09:04
bladup wrote:
What's the first site with extant remains you ever visited? and if not a stone circle which stone circle as well?, i'm interested because the nine ladies of stanton moor and boscawen un often seem the stone circles a lot of people visited first

Funnily enough, the Nine Ladies.
juamei
juamei
2013 posts

Sep 21, 2012, 09:14
I used to play on Maiden Castle as a kid and occasionally Maumbury Rings, but only really thought of them as playgrounds...
As an adult I think a day trip to Avebury with an exes parents when I was at university in the late 90s was my first circle. But buying TMA in september 2001, was what opened the floodgates...
Pages: 15 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index