Topic View: Flat | Threaded
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Edited Sep 21, 2012, 19:02
Re: The first site you ever visited.
Sep 21, 2012, 18:33
thesweetcheat wrote:
Mine's a bit like Postie's, in that I visited some places before I was interested - I went to several Herefordshire/Shropshire hillforts with my Dad in my teens and got forced up the Brecon Beacons in blister-inducing boots at school.

But the proper cherry-popper was Arbor Low in November 1997. G/F and I had our first holiday together in the Peak District and the cottage we stayed in at Youlgreave had an OS map framed on the wall. I saw Arbor Low marked on it, thought it looked interesting and we walked there one day. Blimey.

The next year we went back to the Peaks again and I found a copy of the paperback Burl in the excellent Bakewell bookshop. This was the real eye-opener and we went to Nine Ladies and Nine Stone Close. We had travelled down from York on the train, it was my birthday week and G/F had managed to lug, in secret, my present with us - the paper TMA! So the two books then got me out to Blakey Topping, High Bridestones, etc. 1999 I went to Four Stones and Mitchell's Fold with my Dad, and the week after the eclipse G/F and I had our first trip to Cornwall together, accompanied by photocopied pages from the orange book and with the Burl book. But it was stone circles mainly, for quite a while. First chambered tomb would have been in Cornwall, probably Tregiffian. First chambered long barrow Belas Knap when we moved to Gloucestershire in 2006.

A lovely tale, thanks a lot, and i know for certain [ because of an experience ] that all these places got a massive blast of "something" on oct 11 1997, so your date of nov 97 interests me greatly, as it all really started for me in megalithicless lincoln the month before this, if you don't mind me asking how long had you planned that trip with the missus or was it a more spur of the moment type thing [ tell me to mind my own if you don't want to answer ], and i'm glad you wrote this here as i didn't know you would because i'd already asked you, sorry but just when i got to the end i realised i've hit the with quote, i didn't mean to, and i agree it's a shit habit, i am trying my best to stop, so please forgive me and let this one pass, as i didn't want to write it out again.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index