146 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Re: The first site you ever visited.
Sep 21, 2012, 11:22
postman wrote:
Well, it's all a bit complicated. The first time I ever got in the car and actively sought an ancient place it was Stonehenge, it was my twenty first birthday present to my self, I was with my best mate and my girlfriend of the time, I remember the stones were very big (and they are).
But with much hindsight I now know that Beeston Crag was my first ancient place, I must have been something like ten maybe twelve it was a school trip to the local castle, there was no little visitor center, for another twenty years I thought it was just a castle, now its some kind of Neolithic enclosure, a bronze age settlement and a hill fort.
Maiden castle,( not that one, mine) was seen (but not recognised) on a scout hike across the sandstone trail, age ten maybe.
My first planned trip to a burial chamber was West Kennet long barrow, Avebury was my second circle
But my real first burial chamber was Plas Newedd on Anglesey, I was fourteen, another school trip. I didn't know it was a 5000 yr old burial chamber, I thought maybe it was a folly of some kind (yet didn't know what a folly was) Only a big orange book inspired trip revealed i'd been there before.
So even without my knowing it I've been doing this all my life, they just pulled me in, and now there's no way out other than to see it through.

Thanks i know what you're saying because my parents took me to the carnac rows, it meant nothing to me, yet at the same time everything to me, i couldn't leave the van, as my parents were walking around i shall say that my girlfriend at the time became what i'd call possessed [ her eyes were totally different ], she suddenly became very friendly even though we had been at each others throats [ i know women can be a bit like that anyway, but this was different], so i've always though the place came and visited me if you like!!!!, i don't count this time as my first place but maybe i should, what i'm learning so far is that it's a harder question than i thought it was.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index