146 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Re: The first site you ever visited.
Sep 21, 2012, 11:09
tjj wrote:
I'd really like to answer this one though in doing so I will contradict something I say later. Way back in those mist-covered days of living in London I was invited on a Pagan Day Out coach trip, organised by people associated with SKOOB Books (back then SKOOB was located near the British Museum and was a meeting place for all sorts of esoteric goings on - most of which were outside of my understanding at the time).

Our first stop was Waylands Smithy, then of course Avebury and West Kennet Long Barrow - with a quick stop at Stonehenge on the way back. I saw a bus heading for my home town Swindon - a place I thought I had left far behind as my parents had moved to Lincolnshire. I had no inkling at that time that life's changes would take me back there. At the turn of the new century take me back they did - and for the past decade Avebury has played a pivotal part in my life.

I went back there the other day (borrowed a friend's NT card as wanted to mooch around the excellent museum and information centre). Lots of school kids learning that Avebury was more than likely a place of prehistoric religious observance. I went back to the henge thinking to go for a walk, the sun was shining - but I looked around me and thought about all the petty squabbling and egocentric behaviour which I now associate with the place and thought it really is time to move on, not just metaphorically but physically too. I said goodbye to Avebury.

Thanks for the answer, the place will pull you back yet i imagine, as it's more important than our fleeting moany little lives, we are all trying to make this place argument free, if any arguing takes place we all need to jump in and pull them apart, people should walk away [ i know, i know, me saying this and all that!!!], if everybody did that and accepted everyone is entitled to their opinion, there would be no arguing at all here anyway!
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index