356 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: Developments at Avebury
Nov 22, 2011, 08:12
hedgeling wrote:
I miss the tree avenues, perhaps more tree planting would be popular? If Avebury is the great nemeton,sacred grove of the druids then would of been loads more trees, woods,groves and clearings with the cove in middle. Maybe a big hedge on the top of the banks? They found the shrines to Nemotina godess of the moon and Mars appollo at Bath, known to be the site of another Nemeton. Miss the trees though. Keiler in his clearance restoration Zeal dynamited trees i seam to remember.
Dont like the white rendering, but whats underneath? you may find there was a good reason for putting it on and the brickwork is dodgy.
the social club maynot be too attractive but hiding it would certainly not improve its profitability.
Would advocate putting up the buried stones though.

I'd love to see the stones re-erected for what I consider three good reasons. Firstly, other than being returned to their rightful place after being hauled off the Downs or wherever they originated from, it would give us a further opportunity to carry out live experiments in the lifting, moving (for more than a few feet in some cases) and erecting of them in what we believe could have been the methods used by our great ancestors. Thirdly, and maybe the most important, the pure archaeology involved in the finding and re-escavating of the stone holes. And wouldn't it look great to see more pieces of the jigsaw in place.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index