4670 posts

Re: Developments at Avebury
Feb 16, 2011, 14:38
The Sea Cat wrote:
tjj wrote:
Resonox wrote:
tjj wrote:
Resonox wrote:
A Stukeley quote is quite appropriate here..(sorry if it's been done to death in this topic already)

"And this stupendous fabric, which for some thousands of years, had brav'd the continual assaults of weather, and by the nature of it, when left to itself, like the pyramids of Egypt, would have lasted as long as the globe, hath fallen a sacrifice to the wretched ignorance and avarice of a little village unluckily plac'd within it."

William Stukeley (1687-1765)

I agree with you that the above quote has been done to death, I've read it many times but I disagree about its appropriateness to this topic. William Stukeley was part of the 'upper class' whilst the villagers of Avebury were mainly poor land workers who basically did as they were told. That isn't the case now of course but to some extent their views need to be at least considered. Anyway, as I said before ... I'll leave the politics of Avebury to people with much louder voices than mine.

Sorry...you disagree..yet agree?...I can't find any reason for you to disagree with me using a quote in the way I have, other than some kind of inverted snobbery... ie..poor people are by dint of being poor absolved of all blame as they are victims of circumstance, what utter tommyrot. Stukeley(wealthy upper class know-it-all as you paint him)..does point out in this very quote...that the village is "unluckily placed".....and before anyone gets all high and mighty about "poor land workers" it was the LAND OWNERS who put the accommodation there for the workers(the reasons for churches being sited in proximity HAS been done to death).
Please just don't disagree for the sake of disagreeing....it is rather ill becoming....just because one individual has read a quote several times doesn't mean everyone else has....or is this some kind of subtle censoring of opinions at variance with yours?

Yes, I agree it WAS the landowners who placed the village there for their farm labourers to live in.

For the record, I was not disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing - or operating 'some kind of subtle censorship of opinions at variance with my own'. This is a forum ie a place for debate ... my voice may not be as loud and articulate as your good self but it still has a right to be heard.

I've just checked this thread and I have to say that I wholeheartedly agree with you tjj. I am vehemently opposed to a ring road, and of course, all our voices are of equal worth and merit, pro or against. We can and should debate and discuss freely and civilly.

And may I add be particularly polite to the fairer sex.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index