356 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: Developments at Avebury
Feb 17, 2011, 10:45
Littlestone wrote:
Well said, think I agree with everything there. This bit though rings very true -

A simple trackway for wheelchairs around the henge would brighten the lives of many many people who are missing out on so much that we all take for granted. There is so much more that could be done to enhance everybodies enjoyment of what our fantastic great ancestors have bequeathed us.

Yup, we’re so often not allowed, or can’t, ‘get up close’ but provided no harm is done to an object or site that provision should be encouraged.

There was a sculpture exhibition at the British Museum some years ago called Please Touch. In a world where we’re so often told not to touch this was a refreshing change... the exhibition was principally for the visually impaired.

I'm not ashamed to admit to this LS but some years ago a blind and physically disabled lady was being pushed around the SW quadrant and was being hepled out of her wheelchair by another lady because she wanted to hug a stone. I helped to support her as she held on to the stone and had tears in my eyes as she herself cried tears of joy because she had been blind since birth and it was something she had always wanted to do after hearing so much about them. She actually 'thanked' the stone for allowing her to do it and I felt really humble I can tell you. I drove home on air that night.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index