Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: Developments at Avebury
Feb 16, 2011, 17:16
Resonox wrote:
Littlestone wrote:
nigelswift wrote:
I can understand you being mighty surprised to be told that famous Stukeley quote was inappropriate. I would have thought it was the most appropriate quote in the history of the world for a thread titled Developments at Avebury. It's a puzzle.

Aye, and used by no less a luminary than Aubrey Burl in his Prehistoric Avebury (1979), rightly so by many others, and here by yours humbly for the last two years.

Speaking personally I’d like to see it etched into a brass plaque and screwed onto one of the many walls in Avebury made from the shattered sarsens of a once great monument - a constant reminder to all who pass by how our heritage can so easily be lost and damaged.

I'm not surprised anymore, I've seen the error of my ways, people talk about being upset by the destruction of our past....and how we should cling on to the heritage.....but quote something relevant and appropriate from our(recent) heritage, oh no that's vile....Anyway,it was my supercilious overtures that upset everyone, not the content, or maybe it was because I thought of saying it first(I should've deferred to "the fairer sex" who can dole it out with the best of 'em...but one paranoid whiff of treason and it's floods of tears and messages of support)....Maybe I should stick to quoting Melanie...it's deemed less pretentious

Resonox, my comment regarding the fairer sex wasn't just aimed at you personally, just I thought appropriate at the time to consider all of our posts when replying to a lady. We all get a bit flamed up at times and I'm no exception, but I just feel we should all behave in a gentlemanly way sometimes and ignore if we have to rather than ignite. And yes, it wouldn't be the same if the girls didn't give as good as they get sometimes and often do god bless 'em. Let's not spoil our discussions over this and call it a truce rather than the Eds having to pass comment again.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index