356 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: Developments at Avebury
Feb 17, 2011, 09:56
Littlestone wrote:

So, what (if any) are acceptable developments at Avebury? .

Okay, so the topic is open again. Good.

First and foremost in my mind with regard to development is of course the preservation of the WHS itself. Can we class the re-erection of stones as development...yes I believe we can, so that would be top of my list to bring the henge back as far as possible to its former self.
But running parallel with that would be a greater influx of people visiting Avebury to see these developments so they have to be catered for.
If there are not enough facilities to cope, i.e. toilets, food outlets, car parking, anything...then get on and provide them, but in a controlled and sympathetic way taking into consideration the historic value of the site and the people who actually live there. This is not just a place to visit because by doing so we are intruding into other peoples lives.
Love it or loathe it H&S and equal rights will play a part. Each and every one of us know or have someone who is old/disabled/young who could benefit from a few safety improvements or additions. The road crossing need serious addressing before someone is seriously injured or killed and more provision must be given to the disabled. A simple trackway for wheelchairs around the henge would brighten the lives of many many people who are missing out on so much that we all take for granted. There is so much more that could be done to enhance everybodies enjoyment of what our fantastic great ancestors have bequeathed us.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index