Julian Cope presents Head Heritage

Head To Head
Log In
Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Avebury »
Developments at Avebury
Log In to post a reply

Pages: 36 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Littlestone
Littlestone
5381 posts

Edited Feb 14, 2011, 16:05
Developments at Avebury
Feb 14, 2011, 16:03
So, what (if any) are acceptable developments at Avebury? You could rephrase the question and ask, “So what are acceptable developments at the Avebury World Heritage Site?” (and you might come up with different answers). You could compound the issue further and ask does restoration (and not just of the stones) constitute development?

Some would argue that they’re against all development at Avebury by the National Trust, or anyone else, but that depends on how you define development. Most of us were against the development (five new houses) on the old Bonds Garage site but there are at least three ‘developments’ that would actually enhance Avebury as a World Heritage Site.

1) The Avebury & District Clubhouse which, in the club’s own words is, “Not a beautiful building” could certainly be improved either by replacing it with something more attractive or, alternatively, relocating or screening it (provided the screening didn’t interfere with views from or of the Henge).

2) The Lodge (next to the public loo) originally had an attractive brick façade but is now, “...white painted render or 'stucco' which in all probability was first added on the instruction of Lord Avebury to give the property a more 'Aristocratic' appearance.” The white ‘stucco’ is unatractive, could be removed, and the original façade restored.

3) The public loo itself (originally a stable block) is not an unattractive building but is hidden behind a high stone wall because its present function is a public loo – a loo right on Avebury’s high street! There is at least one other place where the loos could be more sensibly relocated and at the same time improved.

Along with a butcher’s, baker’s, blacksmith’s etc Avebury once had a hotel (the thatched building next to the antique shop). The antique shop itself was once a teashop (if you look carefully you can still see a teashop sign faintly painted on its west-facing wall). A new teashop (not a food outlet) would be restoring something the village once had and would surely add to the pleasure of visiting the place – place here defined as a World Heritage Site.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4645 posts

Re: Developments at Avebury
Feb 14, 2011, 16:43
Littlestone wrote:
So, what (if any) are acceptable developments at Avebury? You could rephrase the question and ask, “So what are acceptable developments at the Avebury World Heritage Site?” (and you might come up with different answers). You could compound the issue further and ask does restoration (and not just of the stones) constitute development?

Some would argue that they’re against all development at Avebury by the National Trust, or anyone else, but that depends on how you define development. Most of us were against the development (five new houses) on the old Bonds Garage site but there are at least three ‘developments’ that would actually enhance Avebury as a World Heritage Site.

1) The Avebury & District Clubhouse which, in the club’s own words is, “Not a beautiful building” could certainly be improved either by replacing it with something more attractive or, alternatively, relocating or screening it (provided the screening didn’t interfere with views from or of the Henge).

2) The Lodge (next to the public loo) originally had an attractive brick façade but is now, “...white painted render or 'stucco' which in all probability was first added on the instruction of Lord Avebury to give the property a more 'Aristocratic' appearance.” The white ‘stucco’ is unatractive, could be removed, and the original façade restored.

3) The public loo itself (originally a stable block) is not an unattractive building but is hidden behind a high stone wall because its present function is a public loo – a loo right on Avebury’s high street! There is at least one other place where the loos could be more sensibly relocated and at the same time improved.

Along with a butcher’s, baker’s, blacksmith’s etc Avebury once had a hotel (the thatched building next to the antique shop). The antique shop itself was once a teashop (if you look carefully you can still see a teashop sign faintly painted on its west-facing wall). A new teashop (not a food outlet) would be restoring something the village once had and would surely add to the pleasure of visiting the place – place here defined as a World Heritage Site.


When one thinks of development at Avebury, who or what comes first, the WHS itself (i.e. principally the henge) or the people who actually live there? It is easy to forget that this is a living village and peoples day to day lives are affected by all the changes. Does anyone listen to them anymore when it comes to deciding what is built where and who will it benefit? Another tea-room is hardly going to do anything for them is it, so where does the priority lie? It is their village and their lives so I guess they should have first say on what they want to see and have to make life easier for themselves. We and the public are only visitors and whilst we expect someone to provide amenities for us, how far should we intrude into the lives of those who reside there by possibly taking away from them things that they need to instead give us things that we need?
Littlestone
Littlestone
5381 posts

Edited Feb 14, 2011, 19:13
Re: Developments at Avebury
Feb 14, 2011, 19:10
Re: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYWwTmjpIRI

Classic, Mathew, though (and correctly if I’m wrong) but you are the person who applied for use of the Coach House (sorry, I said stable block above) as a Crop Circle Centre and whose application was turned down? If that is in fact the case it’s understandable that you should now be so upset with the National Trust who want to open a ‘cafe’ on the site. Personally, I hold firm to the belief that the Coach House could be put to better use than as a public convenience.

You had Moss and I in hysterics over dinner (sorry if that wasn’t your intention) and you make some very, very good points. One was the question of sheep poo. I hadn’t actually linked the fact that people generally don’t sit down in the Henge because of the poo problem (and the commercial implications of that). Let me say though that similar ploys really are used elsewhere. I know of a city with a river running through it. On either bank of the river there are restaurants and tea houses but not a single bench on the river banks themselves. It is a well known fact that the restaurants and tea houses there are vehemently opposed to the siting of benches as they believe this will syphon off trade from their establishments.

Spot on.
megadread
1202 posts

Re: Developments at Avebury
Feb 14, 2011, 19:49
Littlestone wrote:
Re: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYWwTmjpIRI

Classic, Mathew, though (and correctly if I’m wrong) but you are the person who applied for use of the Coach House (sorry, I said stable block above) as a Crop Circle Centre and whose application was turned down? If that is in fact the case it’s understandable that you should now be so upset with the National Trust who want to open a ‘cafe’ on the site. Personally, I hold firm to the belief that the Coach House could be put to better use than as a public convenience.

You had Moss and I in hysterics over dinner (sorry if that wasn’t your intention) and you make some very, very good points. One was the question of sheep poo. I hadn’t actually linked the fact that people generally don’t sit down in the Henge because of the poo problem (and the commercial implications of that). Let me say though that similar ploys really are used elsewhere. I know of a city with a river running through it. On either bank of the river there are restaurants and tea houses but not a single bench on the river banks themselves. It is a well known fact that the restaurants and tea houses there are vehemently opposed to the siting of benches as they believe this will syphon off trade from their establishments.

Spot on.


Might just be me, but does sheep poo really bother people. ?
It doesn't bother me in the slightest, or the hundreds of people you see sitting around the henge at summer solstice, maybe it's down to the fact i regularly camp in the countryside. (not on camp sites)

LS, a serious question, do you believe the toilets closing would be a big problem. ?

It certainly would be for myself, and the many others who camp around Avebury for several days at a time, i do spend a lot of time in the Lion so using their toilets wouldn't be a problem for me, but i'm sure they'd be much stricter on the patrons only front if the toilets went.

Personally i'd find closing the toilets just short of lunacy.
jackyboy
145 posts

Re: Developments at Avebury
Feb 14, 2011, 19:52
Better sheep poo that bleeding great mowers driving about polluting the air and risking life and limb
megadread
1202 posts

Re: Developments at Avebury
Feb 14, 2011, 19:55
jackyboy wrote:
Better sheep poo that bleeding great mowers driving about polluting the air and risking life and limb


The guy in the video seems to miss the fact that the sheep provide a service, and their part of some evil conspiracy.
Nuts. !
jackyboy
145 posts

Re: Developments at Avebury
Feb 14, 2011, 20:00
megadread wrote:
jackyboy wrote:
Better sheep poo that bleeding great mowers driving about polluting the air and risking life and limb


The guy in the video seems to miss the fact that the sheep provide a service, and their part of some evil conspiracy.
Nuts. !


I can just imagine the damage those blokes with the petrol powered trimmer things would do..

Did anybody mention H&S
megadread
1202 posts

Re: Developments at Avebury
Feb 14, 2011, 20:05
jackyboy wrote:
megadread wrote:
jackyboy wrote:
Better sheep poo that bleeding great mowers driving about polluting the air and risking life and limb


The guy in the video seems to miss the fact that the sheep provide a service, and their part of some evil conspiracy.
Nuts. !


I can just imagine the damage those blokes with the petrol powered trimmer things would do..

Did anybody mention H&S


I used to maintain a garden with very steep grassy slopes, it was a bloody pain, the easiest way was a petrol hover mover on a rope, never again.
jackyboy
145 posts

Re: Developments at Avebury
Feb 14, 2011, 20:21
megadread wrote:
jackyboy wrote:
megadread wrote:
jackyboy wrote:
Better sheep poo that bleeding great mowers driving about polluting the air and risking life and limb


The guy in the video seems to miss the fact that the sheep provide a service, and their part of some evil conspiracy.
Nuts. !


I can just imagine the damage those blokes with the petrol powered trimmer things would do..

Did anybody mention H&S


I used to maintain a garden with very steep grassy slopes, it was a bloody pain, the easiest way was a petrol hover mover on a rope, never again.


If they worked as fast as lewisham council they would be there all week..

Nice sheep. Baa.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5381 posts

Re: Developments at Avebury
Feb 14, 2011, 20:48
Couple of other ‘developments’ that might improve the Avebury WHS.

1) Tarmacking the main NT car park which, at 5 quid a bash, is definitely warranted (though there may be legitimate objections from the archeo community to doing that). Tarmacking would certainly allow better wheelchair access from there to the High Street though.

Alternatively, 2) allowing disabled parking at either the Avebury & District Clubhouse car park, or the small NT car park in front of the Hengeshop.
Pages: 36 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index