356 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: Developments at Avebury
Feb 17, 2011, 16:07
Littlestone wrote:
None of this will come cheap and if too much is done then you must be prepared for the thing we have all dreaded...having to pay to enter the henge! No matter what we all think it really is only a matter of time. If the money can't be made or raised one way that will be the last resort...and it'll be taken for sure! I don't mind personally as long as it is reasonably charged but as we have seen at that place 20 miles down the road, don't 'bank' on it!!

We’ve seen, with the forest debacle and events in the Middle East, People Power in action. There would be one serious outcry against charging to enter the Henge, not to mention it being extremely difficult to stop people entering from various points if they wanted to – Avebury’s a big place. What would they do? Put up barbed wire to stop people getting in?

Doubt if charging will ever happen, but if they ever try it on I’ll be with thousands of other folks to stop it – so there!

That's what they said about Stonehenge I would imagine. Left to the nation to roam freely amongst the stones wasn't it...I don't think so! My guess is it'll happen one day and will be accepted if sensibly charged to safeguard it's future. Would you be apposed to a charge if it was to guarantee it's welfare?
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index