Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: Unemployed layabouts leave marks on Avebury stones
Jul 29, 2011, 18:36
Littlestone wrote:
Thanks for that Mr S.

Had to Google flystrike to learn summat about it, and it seems it’s not only sheep and rabbits that can be affected – humans too (myiasis). Not a pleasant condition, and one that can lead to death. Given that the stones are touched, hugged and... oh yes, frequently climbed... by adults and children alike this could be a health issue no-one’s thought about (as well as an inappropriate use of a WHS).

Actually, it occurs to me why bother to keep the grass cut anyway? Why not leave it to evolve into natural meadow, with accompanying wildflowers and wildlife? There would always be enough visitors to the site to create pathways to the main points of interest while the rest could be left alone.

I think you'd find that it would get out of hand LS. I'm all for lush meadow grass pasture but unless you have animals to keep it in check it runs riot. It can be 'topped' of course which means that you remove the seed heads and overgrowth leaving a lush and thick 6" or so.
I've never personally known of a person becoming affected or ill through 'strike' but then I'm no expert on it. When we clip a sheep affected by strike we have to go right back to the bare flesh and remove the maggots and treat it accordingly. The maggots removed just fall to the ground and normally die. I've seen sheep with huge holes in their bodies going right back to vital organs where the maggots live on them. Sheep on the moors affected are virtually off their heads as they can do nothing about it and it drives them mad. Good husbandry is essential as dipping doesn't always prevent it in severe cases. I have a local shepherd who attends to my sheep but when I've done it myself it absoluley stinks of maggot pee which runs down under and through the wool. In New Zealand, being such a huge sheep country, they actually train their dogs to smell out the sheep affected before it's actually detected by eye.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index