356 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Re: QR Codes
Feb 27, 2011, 10:36
nigelswift wrote:
Alan, well done for researching these, which are going to be a big thing that we'll all benefit from I reckon, so it would be a shame if any negativity was dumped on them, especially with zero justification. So let's make it clear - no-one ever suggested they will replace normal text so there's no reason to point the fact out, as if it's a problem to be overcome - it's a bit like saying beware buying a radio, it won't replace books! Also, there are 30K Scheduled monuments so alleged phone problems at one of them is hardly an issue - especially as the info can be captured and used later.

There's so much bad going on in heritage at present, with the funding cuts, this is a 100% Good News story that's going to be great. EH and NT et al need nagging and encouraging to embrace it. Arguably, this very website will play a massive part in it.

Indeed Nigel. Though I would have thought asking questions was a positive thing rather than negative as it provided the opportunity to make the benefits of this new technology more widely known. The Youtube links were helpful, as was the clarification about the mobile phone signal. I hadn't heard of the codes until I read about them here.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index