leap years

106 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
StoneLifter
StoneLifter
1594 posts

Re: Practical
Mar 27, 2006, 22:43
No, the height of the Spring (and autumn - but I don't know what they're called) Tide is due to the eclipses that occur then. Yes, sailors would know about them but they'd rely on the druids for an explanation.

I watched a far southern moonrise very early on Thursday morning, in the frost, but my film wasn't properly loading and wasn't winding on. It was process-paid Kodachrome too. The sight of that orange-brown moon rising behind Manchester is etched though in my mind. Will come back to haunt me, no doubt.

Later I found the facade, forecourt and, perhaps, buried entrance to the long barrow at Toothells Park. There's a section of stone revetment lower down the hill, which is unusual. I also found that the Dean Ditch is terminated at its eastern end by a considerably-sized barrow. Why has nobody not noticed this previously ? Fortunately it is half in Lancashire and half in Greater Manchester, which doubles the chances of a county archaeologist not turning out. The barrow partially explains why the ditch has no banks (of excavated material) - they carried it to the end and heaped it up there (no photographs).

Darwen has an active archaeology society.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index