Hardwired

139 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
PeterH
PeterH
1180 posts

Seeing faces in rocks
Mar 10, 2006, 22:29
Excellent thread, but as ever I'm getting lost. I'm not sure that us seeing faces in rocks and trees is hard wired. I do believe it has more to do with the way we learn to see pictures. It has even more to do with two dimensional photographs than three dimensional reality.

Let me explain if I may. Go into the field and look at the rocks as you walk among them and then take some photographs. You see no faces, but when you look at your photographs later, you suddenly see a face. But that face was just a temporary arrangement of light and shade. Take a photograph an hour later and it looks quite different. Try it. The exceptions are when you come across a strong profile that is face-like in all lights especially as a silhouette.

The thing is that once you see a face in a photo, you can't not see that face in that photo. The pattern has arranged itself in your mind and will not go away. Be warned and take a look at this http://www.megalithic.co.uk/modules.php?op=modload&name=a312&file=index&do=showpic&pid=9156&orderby=
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index