Hardwired

139 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
PeterH
PeterH
1180 posts

Re: errata
Mar 08, 2006, 10:23
Yes that is so. I should have mentioned that my pic was taken on a hot dry day. It would be interesting to see a chemical analysis of such a carving.

For what its worth, my notion is that people like to follow spirals or labyrinths with their fingers. Remember when we were kids how we loved to trace mazes with pencils in books? If you touch anything you will leave fingerprints. What are finger prints? Dead skin cells, oil and acids. If enough people trace the same grooves over a long period, then that finger debris will build up as shown on the Long Meg carving. If it is then left alone for a decade or two, then lichen and maybe even moss will take advantage of the groove, extra moisture, possible extra shade and finger debris humus. It stands to reason, as life will always find the more favoured environment to colonise. The rational biological reason should always be examined before seeking alternatives.

Maybe - just maybe. people have always traced patterns carved in rocks. Maybe that is a prime function of rock art. Just imagine a person sitting before a rock on which has previously been carved a pattern. S/he traces the spiral or other design with a finger. Then s/he does it again and again in a sort of ritual hand-jive. Sufficient repetition as part of a ritual (ugh - hate that word) might ease him/her into a trance or meditative state. Imagine this finger tracing going on over several generations.

Is that the 102nd purpose of RA and do I score a merit mark for being ultra pc? ;o)
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index