139 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Croutons
Mar 10, 2006, 22:01
"Are there not several different types of religious needs?"

Countless, I'd say. Probably as many as there are differing psycho/physio/soicio/spiritualogicalistical situations. Although I only used the word 'need' in reference to Maslow. I would prefer to use the word 'response' as consider religion/spiritual activity to be a response to something. Whether or not that something is a 'need' or a 'want', I refuse to deal in absolutes especially with such a varying subject regarding personal psyches and environmental situations/responses.

As per the 'response' thing - of course, this is similar to saying "I consider eating to be a response to something" but with the added 'third' element that spirituality is not easily identifiable as an internal or external need. Then there are common instances where a psychological weakness or lack of reason slips into religiosity.

To hunger for bread is not the same as to hunger for communion with one's environment/creation/the universe/a sexy young vicar etc (delete as applicable).

Additionally there is the *fundamentalist* atheist (as opposed to the common atheist) approach that considers all religious/spiritual experience to be proof of a diseased mind, or at least evidence of mental invalidity or dishonesty. This is unusual in that it mirrors the opinions of the more fundamentalist religious adherents whom it is eager to denounce.

The crux of the question (in my mind) is whether or not this response is to external stimuli (physical or spiritual), or internal phenomena (psychological/phsyiological).

Mix in the extra brouhahah regarding the existence of a soul, or that elusive word- 'spirituality', add the whole control element of dogma, priesthood, theological politics &c and the salad becomes a brainsoup that will forever slip through any discursive colander.

And I'm done with food metaphors, time for dinner...
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index