116 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
suave harv
suave harv
704 posts

The all knowing gun toting executioner
Nov 29, 2003, 15:23
This is an interesting thread.
We all have things we’d like to believe don't we? Sometimes our want or need to ‘believe’ overtakes our rationality. We believe in spite of the evidence to the contrary. I believe most religions are successful because they give promise of everlasting life, which most of us would quite like. In fact . .
Survival is possibly our greatest instinct- it over-rides any desire to believe in anything, be it God, Aliens, Astrology or the Loch Ness monster.
I always do this - Imagine someone has a gun to you head. This person knows everything. This person knows whether there is a God, whether there is a bigfoot, who shot JFK, everything!
So this person asks you a question. If you get it wrong, he pulls the trigger.
Given this scenario, you must now begin to answer the questions that have been buzzing round your brain, but seeing as your life depends on it, you can truly get to the heart of what you ‘believe’.
If the all knowing gun toting executioner asked me "crop circles are made by man, true or false?" I'd answer "true", and I'd be amazed if anyone could honestly answer "false" in that situation.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index