Photography Competition

116 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Steve Gray
Steve Gray
931 posts

Crop circle heat patterns
Nov 24, 2003, 22:36
Since this thread has been well and truly subverted, I though I should at least change the topic title.

To have any meaning at all one would have to compare before and after shots to see whether the "water dispacement" was due to anything other than natural variations in ground composition and drainage systems. I know that this is impossible to do because you can't get a "before" picture of a crop circle. However, it would be possible to photograph the same field the following year at the same time of year. If similar patterns were observed without the crop circle in place (as I believe they would) then the effect is entirely due to ground conditions.

Differences in temperature of the crop can occur because of the activity of micro-organisms in the damaged crop (composting). Various moulds appear quite quickly when a crop has been flattened, especially if there is dampness. You also get regrowth as the felled grains germinate after a week or two. The photograph that shows the lower part of the plant "cooled down" is surely due to the fact that warmth from the morning sun heats to top part of the plant first, but takes much longer to penetrate to the lower part of the stems.

As to the sensitivity of the subject, it was you who made the preposterous remark:

"articles of such geometric complexity, such as many of the crop circles, are practically beyond human ingenuity"

Why do you have such a low opinion of your fellow beings?
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index