116 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
BlueGloves
BlueGloves
858 posts

Re: just to put my oar in
Nov 26, 2003, 20:54
Yes, I know Occam's Razor .

But don't forget that I describe myself as the remnant of the megalith building tradition - and to describe me as a vandal is desperately (by 180 degrees) and sadly inaccurate. 'Person' is my favourite epithet, 'maker' is not bad, 'Brigantian' - I wouldn't object to that - I am solidly within the Pennine tradition of stonework. 'Artist and conservationist' usually causes sniggers - but it's what I do (sometimes successfully).

I fell out with some senior establishment figures connected with N.U. over an issue of basic integrity. (Please don't ask !) Consequently I am *persona non grata* with the archaeological professional group. I am finding real and serious stone monuments yet they are pretending they are not there ! I don't know if you've heard of N. County Hall giving away a round cairn - it was maybe a little larger than Duggleby Howe - for roadstone as I'd notified it to them as a 'harvest hill'. Quick Search under Three Pikes - there are before and during pictures posted but I was prevented - they hunted me and turned me back - from taking any of the afters. The scar will still be there next year, of course.

Rather than hope that the archaeologists might visit some of my sites I decided to bring stuff to them - the Blackstone - but now this approach seems unsuccessful too. It's got so extended as to be ludicrous. One of my Northumbrian stone rows is three hundred metres long - I don't know what its total weight must be - but there's only me and the farmer that owns it ever seen it ! I've found four rows at that site - two big ones and two little ones. No statutory conservation professionals have ever bothered - this about twelve/fifteen miles, as the crow flies, from Long Meg - to hop over the fence and to take a look.

So I just keep crying into cyberspace !

ps I excavated the trough only, here - the circle, possibly a tiny version of the Callanish III design, is still entirely as found. It should still be there next year. I know what to do and what not to do with ancient remains and my dobbie stone is both intact and in place. I'll make a very close replica eventually, from cast stone, and substitute them. It has some very simple geometric constants in its shape.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index