Another Election

364 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Re: Another Election
Apr 30, 2017, 19:38
Oh! There is another way to cut the pension bill. NHS doctor Yannis Gourtsoyannis writes in the Guardian ...

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/apr/27/doctor-nhs-vote-labour-austerity-conservatives?CMP=fb_gu

"I cannot put it more bluntly: as a doctor I consider it my public duty to urge votes against the Tories, and votes for Labour. And I’m not alone. Hundreds of NHS workers shared their fears of a Conservative election victory on social media under the hashtag #mypublicduty yesterday. The reason is simple. The last seven years of austerity have been built on the graves of tens of thousands of people.
Only a few months ago the Red Cross took the unprecedented step of announcing that the NHS was in the midst of a “humanitarian crisis”. The Red Cross is right. And that crisis continues. In the fifth richest country in the world people are dying needlessly.
A slow, grinding structural violence has pervaded this country – and bearing the brunt are the most vulnerable. Mental health patients, unable to care for themselves, are dying in their homes, denied access to dangerously rationed mental health services. Some are discovered, having died alone, days or even weeks after their deaths.
Migrants are increasingly hassled for payment as they recover from NHS emergency care. Elderly patients are dying suddenly and unexpectedly on understaffed medical wards. Disabled benefit recipients are forced to justify their inability to work during their last few months of life. Ambulance services are increasingly overstretched, causing unacceptable delays in reaching people in need. And suicide rates continue their upwards trend, especially among my female nursing colleagues.
The death toll is rising. We have seen the biggest annual rise in overall death rates in 50 years. Research carried out at Oxford University shows that trends over the past four years may soon result in the highest death rates since the second world war."
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index