364 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6200 posts

Re: Another Election
Apr 21, 2017, 19:53
sanshee wrote:
I mean fix the UK's relationship with itself. Internal stuff.
I recall opinion polls overwhelmingly in favour of ensuring the rights of EU citizens, straight after the EU vote.
Also, UKIP don't even have the one measly MP now.
Great!
There are not 17m racists in the UK, that's almost the inference.
Unfair.

No, that's quite true and I've certainly never thought that - one of the frustrations over the whole thing is that the reasons for voting leave were so varied that it's impossible to know what leavers as a whole were voting for. People blame the EU for loads of things and the majority of them aren't true (particularly the idea that the EU stops our Parliament acting as it sees fit). And whether they find the sunlit uplands they were expecting at the end of it all still remains very much to be seen.

But there are 50+ million people being screwed over by the Tories and leaving the EU sure isn't going to fix that, neither will Labour giving them a free ride. The "internal stuff" as you put it will get worse, and if some people don't get the unicorn they thought they were getting when they voted to leave, it will be a lot worse. But the EU won't be there to blame, so who do they turn on next? Ethnic minorities would be a pretty good first target. Or maybe the "saboteurs" who voted remain. We'll see.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index