Re: Successful bands that you dont like
Nov 16, 2008, 00:46
IanB wrote:
keith a wrote:
Have you been drinking, Ian?

Cheap Keith. Very very cheap.

Christ, Ian. Lighten up. It was a joke.

IanB wrote:

I gently suggest you read some Marcuse and stop wasting your time justfying consumerist greedheads like Duffy

"Consumerist greedheads"? Blimey!

You are Neil out of The Young Ones and I claim my ten pounds.

(Do I really need to put a smiley face here or can you take my word?)

Still, when you've climbed down off your high horse perhaps you could please explain why Duffy is more of a "consumerist greedhead" than virtually anyone else who gets mentioned here?

And if I like her single then I'm perfectly entitled to say so, just as you entitled to say how much you like the your blue rinse prog acts.

IanB wrote:
Why would anyone settle for the modern xerox when there is so much utopian music across all genres?

Er, cos I like it. End of.

But please feel free to ask that question again when someone posts something about 80's 'rock' music. Or is retro shit more acceptable if it's made by long haired blokes with guitars?

IanB wrote:

Post punk has its uniform, its codified behavour and its musical year zero just like metal or rockabilly or prog. If you really think that people who lived and consumed by the pages of the NME circa 1983 are any different from those who lived and consumed by the pages of Kerrang circa 1983 then you are missing out on a lot of great utopian music.

I'm not sure what you're getting at here, Ian. But if you're suggesting that I conform to some 80's post-punk NME manifesto, then you've got me wrong. I like what I like.

Regardless of its age.

Regardless of its genre.

Regardless of who else else likes it.

Regardless of who wants to sneer at it.

So if I think that Duffy's Mercy is better than anything I've heard by, say, VDGG then that's my right. No matter what anyone else here thinks. Providing the NME reckons it's alright for me to like it obiously! ' )
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index