73 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Nov 15, 2008, 11:07
Re: Successful bands that you dont like
Nov 14, 2008, 19:27
Come on Keith you know exactly of which I speak but chose to muddy the waters with the Ramones. Exception proves rule etc.

The Ramones are heroic in the same way that Van Halen or Def Leppard are heroic and I would never dismiss or devalue them.

I am talking about the Peel sponsored early 80s half wits who sounded like they could barely be bothered to take the guitars out of their cases let alone learn more than the rudiments. The it's-so-bad-it's-actually-ok-for-five-minutes-if-you-aren't-paying-attention contingent. The ones who took a look at The Fall and The Mekons and then got it completely wrong. Failing to see what was clever and unique about those bands and just coming out with witless xerox versions of the most easily imitated aspects.

We agree on Quine and Verlaine. I am not sure quite how but we do but in many ways you couldn't get a more pre-punk guitarist than Tom Verlaine. Maybe it is because he based his style on people you consider to be acceptable?

In the end all the music we are defending (be it The Smiths or Def Leppard) is music for pale boys who really should get out more and meet some girls (or boys). Not quite sure what that says about either of us.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index