Successful bands that you dont like

73 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9574 posts

Re: Successful bands that you dont like
Nov 14, 2008, 13:12
Moon Cat wrote:
I agree. I love Johnny Marr and think the intro to TCM is great (see also Girl Afraid for that matter).

But I think your definition of a rock guitarists is too narrow - lumping them all in with the fret-manglers you despise is somewhat disengenous at the least. I would actually consider all those you listed that you liked as rock guitarists anyway, but then I consider rock to be an extremely broad Church (bit like Charlotte tee hee).

Anyhoo, Marr himself is not above a bit of rockery. That IS a Tom Petty shirt he has on in the Servered alliance book. "What she Said" is Marr going metal on his ass; that is a Mark Knopfleresque solo in "Paint a |Vulgar Portrait", that is a proper rock solo in "Shoplifters..."; some of the Electronic stuff, especially the Twisted Tenderness album, is some of the rockiest stuff he's ever done. And, have you heard "Boomslang", The Healers album?!! If that isn't a rock album you can have my Paul Stanley Cat suit

I don't think anyone can accuse me of having a narrow taste, Moonie! We're just talking of a narrow corridor of obviousnes that I don't like.

Can't say that Knofler ever came to mind with PAVP, but then that's one of the few Smiths tracks I *don't* like. Not cos of the guitar playing - I just think it's a pretty rubbish song. But yes, WSS is pretty metal isn't it. Despite that, I like it!

Wasn't blown away by what I heard of The Healers so didn't get the album. But all of this talk about Marr has meant I've got an urge to go and play that Stex single though!
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index