IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Nov 14, 2008, 18:48
Re: Successful bands that you dont like
Nov 14, 2008, 18:12
keith a wrote:
IanB wrote:

but that guitar sound, ugh! Leave juju / hilife to those who can really make it sing. The Smiths records make it sound like a form of finger torturing corporal punishment.

Whaaa!!

The intro of This Charming Man is perhaps the most inspired piece of guitar playing in the 1980's. Obviously doesn't conform to rawk's limited viewpoint of what a guitar should sound like.

Dow...dow dow. Or dow-dow-dow-de-de. And so on.

I despair.

Everything he does is (to my ears) someone else's magic. He's clever but not an especially original thinker on the guitar except that he has the smarts to rip a little bit of this and a little bit of that but rarely goes back to the same source twice. Which makes him smarter than a Gallagher or a Clapton or a Weller but his playing moves me not one inch.

Whereas (thinking of players of his generation) I could happily listen to say Mark Ribot for hour after hour. He's a magpie too but he meets the purloined ideas half way with just as much artistry of his own.

We'll never agree. I'll just stop mentioning him from now on!

You suggest that Kerrang artists are low wattage dullards because they choose to make the sound they make despite having an extrordinary facility on their instruments. While I think a lot of the heroes of English post punk were pretentious fools because they made a virtue of being musically semi-literate as an antidote to their own lack of talent and application. The idea that it is cool not to make an effort disgusts me on a quite primal level. Probably the same feeling you get thinking about a Groundhog Day at Donnington.

I can fall in love with dumb music made by smart people I can't forgive pretentious music made by people who want you think they are smarter than they are. What I love most is people who reach for the highest creative ring with every sinew and synapse even if they miss by a mile. The Fitzcaraldo factor! Note that Guns n Roses AND New Order were on my list.

Have you seen the Terence Davies film about Liverpool in the 50s and 60s "Of Time And The City"? That's what I really want from rock (n roll) music and rarely get.

Funny how English music and English football went through pretty much the same bell curve between 1968 and 2008. Another discussion for another day.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index