Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Nov 14, 2008, 10:11
Re: Successful bands that you dont like
Nov 14, 2008, 10:00
Stevo wrote:
The Smiths at least had a good concentration on songform leading to some toetapping tunes and witty lyrics. I think their worst aspect was what spewed up in their wake, a million Morrissey clones who had a fraction of his wit. & the whole fey idea of indie. Reintroduce the draft I say.

& Radiohead at least mean that some of their audience are going back & checking out influences. That I think means that there's a recognised audience for obscure prog reissues making those easier to come by.

But Oasis. Omigod WHY?
Finding out that people you hoped knew better like them makes you question what's up with the species. Justin Broadrick is a fan, you'd hope he'd get his ears syringed or whatever it took.

We speak as one mind. Oasis were a band people liked because they thought they ought to like them. The 6-cds-a-year crowd were well into them. The same type of people who got into U2 after Rattle n Hum, The Jam after Setting Sons and Simple Minds after Sparkle in the Rain.

Radiohead make bad records but provide good pointers. I hate the fact that they seem to have deliberately given up melody. I don't thnk they've lost the tune writing muse I think they are deliberately surpressing it. Like people who can draw brilliantly but wont do figurative art.

I understand that the exponents of the avant garde likes to avoid the obvious and the crowd-pleasing and to appear less skilled than they really are but I am a greater believer in the old adage "to defeat the enemy sing his song". I'd take one spin of "What's Going On", "Olivers Army" or even "Fascist Groove Thing" over a lifetime of listening to Kid-A or Amnesiac. If you can make great pop and still be saying something of value then you should. In my opinion.

I like Morrissey for being who he is. A true outsider working the inside track but that guitar sound, ugh! Leave juju / hilife to those who can really make it sing. The Smiths records make it sound like a form of finger torturing corporal punishment.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index