Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9574 posts

Edited Nov 14, 2008, 19:15
Re: Successful bands that you dont like
Nov 14, 2008, 19:03
IanB wrote:

Everything he does is (to my ears) someone else's magic.[quote="IanB"]

I don't think Marr is any more guilty of that than anyone else. Less than most actually. And if that's the case,as a matter of interest, who are you suggesting he actually ripped TCM or How Soon Is Now off?

And surely it's not just down to Moz's tonsils that The Smiths sound is so distinctive?

[quote="IanB"] his playing moves me not one inch. [quote="IanB"]

Marr's guitar serves the material not Marr.

[quote="IanB"] The idea that it is cool not to make an effort disgusts me on a quite primal level. [quote="IanB"]

Who's saying that you shouldn't make an effort. The Ramones, who I'm listening to now, were as basic as basic as can be, but that's not to say they didn't make an effort. I think restraint is at least as important as musicianship. And The Ramones knew all about restraint!

[quote="IanB"]
Probably the same feeling you get thinking about a Groundhog Day at Donnington. [quote="IanB"]

That bad, huh!

[quote="IanB"]
I can fall in love with dumb music made by smart people I can't forgive pretentious music made by people who want you think they are smarter than they are. What I love most is people who reach for the highest creative ring with every sinew and synapse even if they miss by a mile. The Fitzcaraldo factor! Note that Guns n Roses AND New Order were on my list.[quote="IanB"]

I'm not sure what your point here is, Ian. G'n'R as you well know are hardly my scene at all, but they were what they were. They were hardly like to make a concept album about downtrodden pixies, complete with choirs and brass bands, were they?

As for NO...well for a time they were ahead of the pack. How many people can say that?

[quote="IanB"]
Have you seen the Terence Davies film about Liverpool in the 50s and 60s "Of Time And The City"? That's what I really want from rock (n roll) music and rarely get.

No, but I'd like to. But if you want you music old and in black&white then there's plenty of specialty shops you can visit! ; )
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index