73 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9574 posts

Re: Successful bands that you dont like
Nov 14, 2008, 12:41
Moon Cat wrote:

You despair?!!

Yep. That's what I said! I despair loads. That's what I do!

Moon Cat wrote:

Keith dude, even for you and your anti-rockist stance on everything ever in the entire cosmos which seems somewhat at odds with you liking of Cope but I digress

Well I generally like Cope best when he's not being 'rock', though perhaps I should point out that although I tend not to like guitar wankery I do love both Safesurfer and Eccentrifugal Force. And I love those first two Brain Donor singles though I guess that as they're Stooges-like that shouldn't be any surprise.

Moon Cat wrote:

that is some generalisation.

Thank you!

Moon Cat wrote:

Are you seriously telling me that the genre that spawned Hendrix, Page, Steve Howe, Dave Gilmour, Eddie Van Halen, Robert Fripp, Phil Manzera, Mick Ronson, MArk Bolan, Steve Vai, Brian May, Vernon Reid, Lyndsey Buckingham, Ernie Isely, Johnny Greenwood AND lest we forget Johnny Marr to name but a few has a 'limited idea of what a guitar should sound like"?!!

Well I'm hardly a fan of all those. Take Page for example. I like Zep when they're keeping things simple and Page is riffing rather than soloing, though to be fair when I said 'rawk' I wasn't exactly thinking of too may of the above. And although I love Bowie there's times when watching old live footage that I understand totally why he got rid of Ronson and his trad rock plinking! And I certainly wasn't thinking of fingerpickers! (I'm a massive Nick Drake fan).

But I stand by what I said...the intro of This Charming Man is genius! And Marr's playing was pretty diverse - Byrds-like picking, Stooges-like riffing on the title track of The Queen Is Dead, that fab wah sound on How Soon Is Now. Give me JM over your average low slung guitar hero any day!

Intersting you should mention Lyndsey Buckingham though. I'm hardly a massive Mac fan (though I think Rumours is a great pop LP and the title track of Tusk is fab!), but I must confess that he's a guitarist who has actually impressed me with his technical expertise because he doesn't just do the obvious things.

It's just that my fave guitarists are the likes of Robert Quine, Keith Levine, Tom Verlaine, etc, rather than the self-indulgent 100 notes a minute fret wankers.

But Ace Frehley is great. Obviously! ; )
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index