Radiohead download...

80 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Robin Tripp
Robin Tripp
8 posts

Re: Radiohead download...
Oct 19, 2007, 00:27
Lots of generalisations in this thread. Mind if I add a few more?

The opposition towards Radiohead from certain members of this website never really surprises me; especially when you consider the fact that Radiohead are one of the few still-contemporary rock bands that people on here are actually aware of. The fact remains, the majority who criticise are still creaming over records produced twenty or thirty years ago, while complaining that new, mainstream music doesn't take enough risks. However, when they do actually get a mainstream act that DOES take risks (albeit, by a contemporary mainstream standard) then it's simply pseudo-intellectual posturing ripped off from far better music produced in the "good old days".

Think about it. When was the last time a thread was started on this board that was about genuinely new and cutting edge music? I mean, take a look at that first page; Buzzcocks, Magazines, Robert Wyatt, Paul McCartney, Teardrop Explodes, T. Rex! Oh, ye bastion of all that's fresh and invigorating about great underground music! Skip on to page four and you'll find slack-chat about John Peel, The Clash, Jeff Buckley, Squeeze and Love. Face it; your opinions are as irrelevant as your record collections.

Music is changing. The way it's discovered, listened to and marketed is completely different now than it used to be. You won't find anything by Polish Ambassador, Street Lord, Dan Deacon, Turbo Weekend, Crystal Castles, Uffie, Kavinsky, or Does it Offend You, Yeah? (some better known examples obviously) in your local record shop; you can find them and download them from various blogs-sites and message boards. Most of these bands haven't even released albums but are already becoming huge in the right circles. You have to face the fact that music isn't what it used to be and won't ever be the same way again.

It seems sad to think that the vast majority of you have already turned into your fathers; complacent in your tastes and smug enough to know that all new music simply cannot compare to the music being made in your youth. You might as well buy a copy of Cliff's greatest hits and put your readers on before a satisfying afternoon nap.

Oh, and I'm not really all that fond of Radiohead, but fair play to them for making the music that they want to make and not really listening to what the suits and ties have to say about it. Which is certainly what music SHOULD be about, right?
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index