Pages: 8 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
bernie the bolt
bernie the bolt
189 posts

Radiohead download...
Oct 12, 2007, 10:18
...did anyone?

C4 ceefax gave it 9/10. Said it was their best since OK Computer.

Wasn't interested meself, but I know it made a bit of a splash here the other week.
riotmaster
1563 posts

Re: Radiohead download...
Oct 12, 2007, 10:41
i've got it. and i wouldn't go as far as to give it 9/10

but its very good in parts. think i'll need a good week or so with it before it really sets in though
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Oct 12, 2007, 11:13
it's their least tedious effort since ok comp but you play it next to say 'tilt' or a good fantomas record and you kind of wonder what all the fuss is about.

it's an above average experimental indie rock record which comes with a shockingly transparent u2 influence. not u2 when they were good mind. whatever that record was after achtung baby with the lemon song on it.

one word of warning is that the bit rate is a miserly 160 kbps. which makes me feel a lot better about the £1.45 I gave them for it. 160! bleedin cheapskates.
riotmaster
1563 posts

Oct 12, 2007, 11:51
i quite liked 'Lemon' by U2 personally

which is more than i can say for Fantomas .. URGH
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Oct 13, 2007, 15:45
I've heard some of the new tracks , they don't sound too bad to my ears, I heard them as a passenger in a car (music you don't normally listen to, always sounds better that way!)

btw- I'm not 'into' Radiohead at all, but their music doesn't make me wince or cringe -

I find it amusing that there is so much vitriol cast their way, especially as they are apparently 'not allowed' to experiment with their music, thus say the 'hip police' mentality of some of britain's music folk!

Is it because they have been very successful ??

hmmm....very strange
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Oct 13, 2007, 17:30
I really shouldn't bit, but: It's because the copy and steal very, very badly. If they did experiment, that would be fine. But, they don't. Yes, all artists are influenced by others, that too would be fine. However, they just appropriate others' style very, very badly.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Oct 13, 2007, 19:13
Oct 13, 2007, 19:09
Yes it's the "I'll nick a bit of David Cunningham here and some Fripp there and then give it just enough of a post-rock La Bradford shroud to mask the lack of ideas but not so much that the indie pop kiddies get disconcerted" thang that gets me. God knows there are worse people out there but the idea that they are experimental annoys me. I wish they really were experimenting but their shtick was better when they had Birdland hair cuts and hadn't quite got over wanting to be Jesus Jones (only kidding) or whatever.

Some bands turn up to record with heads full of ideas and some turn up with an armful of someone else's records. I suspect that they used to be in camp A but have been firmly in camp B since about 1995.
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Oct 13, 2007, 19:58
aaah chaps - I see - I've never really heard them properly before or been familiar with their past

;-)
SpacemanRob
1 posts

Oct 13, 2007, 21:50
I think what you are saying is really harsh. Of all the post millenium bands Radiohead still smell the freshest. What really annoys me is the shit posturing of Damon Albarn. If we want to sight influences he began with 'baggy' morphed into really poor versions of both Pavement & Spiritualized and them decided could be a really ridiculous member of the Clash!!!!

Very few r n r albums post JC, SPZ or anyone else that have any support of talent behind them!!!!

Let's be temporarily excited by new The Warlock album.

Good night!!!!
Jasonaparkes
Jasonaparkes
876 posts

Oct 13, 2007, 22:19
I have a thing against Radiohead and Primal Scream - probably 'cos they were the kind of band that I unquestiongly purchased in some sort of blend of music criticism and indoctrination. Since....2000? I've started listening to music in a different way and dug lots of strange stuff - so much that Radiohead just sound like a corporate dilution of the truly odd. They ONLY demonstrate that they have quite good taste, but I hate them as they can afford to buy lots of records with the money made from less exciting records than U2 released in the 1990s...

I have thought of Radiohead as one of those bands who record about 2 - 4 good songs for each album - which probably means I should do a compilation? I currently think that people have confused the almost revolutionary method of delivery with the record being good. I'd like to have paid what I wanted for the two albums (one only available via the £40 box set) - maybe as that would give me a chance of getting one decent album? It's always the same with them: Pablo Honey (Creep, Prove Yourself), The Bends (Street Spirit, Just), OK Computer (Karma Police, The Tourist), Kid A (How to...Completely, Idioteque), Amnesiac (Pactlikesardines, Pyramid Song) & Hail to the Thief (There There, The Gloaming, Sail to the Moon). Oh yeah, the new one...

The notion that it sounds like OK Computer is erroneous - it's more of that confused stuff they've been making for years. 15 Step has bits that sound like Radiohead colliding with a lame take on Kid 606 or Squarepusher, some of that afro/ambient guitar that Michael Karoli or Durutti Column did, and some of that bass synth thing Boards of Canada had on their first LP...in 1999. I know there are very good arguments, some in Japrocksampler, about taking other's stuff and taking it elsewhere...and Bowie in his peak did that and went beyond. But it's so tedious when it's so obvious and fails to transcend the reference points....

I'd hope a HH fatwa, if people were truly unright-on, would occur over a track with the title 'Faust Arp' would occur. The drums are drum machines, Yorke's brief Lydon impersonation at the end of Bodysnatchers is less effective that Genesis P-Orridge's style on What a Day in 1980 or 2004, and All I Need sounds very Twin Peaks (though Paul Morley's amusing comment that mentioned Aphex Twin and James Blunt is probably more accurate!). A friend told me he'd played it three times...and got nothing from it - a friend who gets the pop, shite like Ryan Adams, and more arcane stuff. Maybe it sounds too cerebral and studied, like Yorke & co have thought about the music criticism that would be applied to their product? There are some nice sounding bits, though the songs tail off into less enjoyable bits - it's the same lite-avant garde stuff they've been doing since Kid A really. I did quite like The Eraser as it was like a pop version of the Warp stuff.

So...pay £0.00, especially as they're courting record labels, have had great reviews for a very average record and will cream off from their dubiously priced box set. Bet they resign with EMI - and you know In Rainbows would have been exactly the same had they released it on Parlophone? & the first two minutes or so of Bodysnatchers constitute the worst attempt at rock music I've heard in decades - though there is a nice Edge/Lanois bit before the Lydon impersonation...

U2 were stranger anyway, especially with that Passengers record or parts of the Million Dollar Hotel soundtrack. I quite like U2 from 1991 to 1997 as I wasn't meant to - they're ain't nothing as good as Lemon here, or Theme for Great Cities by Simple Minds/Steve Hillage...
Pages: 8 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index