60 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Re: drop bombs, not acid....
Oct 24, 2008, 00:18
PMM wrote:
You guys really fucking depress me. Your argument is utterly defeatist. All you have to say is "There's no point fighting. We just have to take whatever shit is coming to us."

But more than that. You don't just passively advocate acceptance of the status quo, you belittle and condemn anyone that refuses to toe the line.

I thought this board was about more than that.

I've taken my share of flak for defending my position re: helping Obama kick the Republicans out. Some of that flak has come in the form of being called a sellout, basically, which sounds kinda belittling and condemning, ya know?

It might feel good to take an uncompromising revolutionary stance, but unless there's solid support for it, and a viable system to follow, it's just banter.

There is no brimming cusp of major revolution happening in the USA. It's a feeble murmer on the larger national stage. It cannot be counted on to deliver the goods.

I'm tired of endlessly fantasizing about dream governments. Look at many of the nations that did have revolutions.... China, Argentina... they're just as snared by the realities of money as anywhere else.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, yes, be idealistic, but leaven it with the understanding that there are some things that can actually be accomplished, and tho they don't live up to the stellar standards of our imaginations, they are REAL STEPS FORWARD. Baby steps, maybe, but steps. Stubborn refusals to engage in the larger body politic towards shared goals, how does that advance anything?

I find no glory in being a self-satisfied political dreamer that's always on the losing end of elections. To dismiss everyone but the most idealistic as being 'depressing' doesn't help matters either.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index