60 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Re: drop bombs, not acid....
Oct 26, 2008, 15:47
nigelswift wrote:
Sorry if I'm going on about the obvious but there's not a day goes by when I don't think how lucky I am to have seen the internet.
(Silly old sod...)

I'm with you.
When I was a kid I was all excited about the thought that someday I'd fly into space.
Well, that's still an extremely rare thing for anyone to do, but the internet came along instead, which is really a sort of mind travel, you know? And available to nearly everybody, and connecting people, and giving silly sods like me to make some money from home and work in art forms that few anticipated in the late 60s.

This is something that would never have arisen without some large capital investments, or even if it had, it would be the sole domain of the wealthy.

Mass production makes it affordable. It really is a very democratizing phenomenon in that it really supports a more egalitarian platform where everyone can contribute and participate.

I don't think it's going to far to suggest that the personal computer and the internet are right up there with antibiotics, making fire, and the wheel in terms of being monumental achievements.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index