drop bombs, not acid....

60 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Re: drop bombs, not acid....
Oct 25, 2008, 05:53
PMM, I just want to say that your contribution is always welcomed... at the end of the day WE ARE all on the same side.

There's plenty of room on that side for idealism, for pragmatism, for all the different approaches to the problems of the world.

I see our ability to argue and debate and even get a little pissed off as no impediment to our shared goals. This is what freedom of expression is all about... we can disagree on details, but ultimately we're on the same page.

The left is ultimately stronger than the right for this reason. We on the left balk at homogenization. We rebel against dogma. We embrace multiple points of view. We cherish intellect. And we reject the one-size-fits-all idea that to be strong we must all tune into the same channel.

To use biology as an analogy, we are stronger because we aren't a monoculture.

Without idealism, we'd be nowhere. Without pragmatic, strategic action, we'd be nowhere. We all need each other.

So don't get bummed out that we spat. This is healthy. That we spar and disagree shouldn't be a problem as long as we respect each other. And I do respect you.

In the meantime, I'm going to keep on rooting for Barack Obama to make history as the USA's first minority to take the White House. And then I'll continue to argue for change. Remember, an Obama win isn't the end of the story. It's the beginning of a new one.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index