60 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Edited Oct 24, 2008, 04:55
Re: drop bombs, not acid....
Oct 24, 2008, 03:46
PMM, if you have some workable ideas as to how to radicalize hundreds of millions of people overnight without creating an even bigger mess, I'd love to hear it.

I hate to put it this way... your ideals and morals are right on, but without the methods to back them up, achievable results on a meaningful scale are going to be few and far between.

And without offering a detailed vision of what will supplant what we have now, you're only preaching to the choir.

Perhaps we're all wrong and you are right. I doubt you'd take much pleasure in being vindicated.

I'm tired of going over this myself, but mainly because I've heard plenty about how the world is going to hell, but few suggestions about how to actually, realistically correct it to the standards you hold.

You state most people are wrong and you are right. That may be true, but it's going to sound elitist to the vast majority. You understand, I am sure, that most people are not going to respond favorably to hearing themselves being called sheep. Those ears are going to tune out to your message if they perceive you to be a didactic scold.

If you want to change the world, you'll need to find some other method.

Meanwhile, I'm going to vote Obama for all the reasons I've enumerated already. I'm not going to let you make me feel 'wrong' for doing so. If someone else wants to throw a vote to McCain by voting Nader, so be it.

There's a time to talk about high ideals, and then there's a time to do or die. This is that time. The election is in less than two weeks. Obama can win, but it's too soon to get complacent about it. McCain could still take the White House. None of us wants that, I am certain.

Lastly, this is not a UK election. It's a US election. I wouldn't dream of telling any of my UK friends how to vote, but everyone seems qualified to lend an opinion in US elections. Granted, what happens to the US has a ripple effect on the rest of the world. But it's just a tad arrogant to tell tens of millions who want positive change that they are sadly delusional.

And I'm not keen on hearing how I should ignore strategic reality to maintain some kind of noble political purity. That sort of thinking just gets you killed, metaphorically speaking. (in a real war it wouldn't be a metaphor).
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index